Monday, April 3, 2017

My Reform

Throughout my college career I have learned that college kids really do not know a lot about the issues most students face during their time as a student.
I want to suggest a new class that would be a requirement for every freshman. This class would take on and dissect issues such as victim blaming, sexual assault and harassment, stalking, domestic violence, binge drinking and drug use.
TCU requires students take online courses before they start at TCU but those online "classes" are not effective. If they were effective we would see less of these issues on campus.
As a journalism student I once interviewed Detective Robert Rangel from TCU PD he said, "Binge drinking is involved in 95% of our crimes."
Students go through these online classes without paying attention. A one time online course is not going to change something that has become so normal in society.
Students need to be educated in depth about signs, definitions, and testimonies from people who have been through these issues.
Students will also receive a grade for the course and their will be tests.
I believe these changes need to be more drastic. Hosting a awareness weeks do not make a difference because not everyone pays attention. This needs to be a mandatory semester long class for all freshman.

I truly believe that with a class like this, campus life would be a much safer place for all of us.

Here is an article that explains what other schools in the US have been doing to make changes on campus:
https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/08/28/how-colleges-are-battling-sexual-violence

Rice University has made changes, requiring freshman to take a mandatory course called "Critical Thinking in Sexuality."
This class has taken a lot of heat from the Rice community. My class suggestion would also be very different because it will take on more issues and will be a semester long class.

Here are some links to articles about the course:
http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/rice-university-implement-mandatory-sexual-education-course/
http://www.ricethresher.org/article/2016/11/proposed-ctis-class-not-a-win-but-a-disappointment


No comments:

Post a Comment